It's crazy to think it's already almost been 10 years since Disney·Pixar's Cars was released in theaters. In another sense, it feels like our friends Lightning Mcqueen and Mater have been around for a life time (well, for those born in/after 2006, they have ;)! For me, Cars was an instant classic Pixar film filled with iconic characters and imagery. Though it's deemed as a "least favorite" by many fans and is often considered one of the "weakest" in Pixar's lineup, I can't help but love it. Personally, I've never understood the consistent hate towards the film. I've watched it more times than I could ever count and I still enjoy its story, characters, humor, world building, designs, music, animation and heart to this day.
And here's a little bit of Dan trivia- Seeing Cars at the theater was actually part of my very first date with my wife back in 2006 (we were both 16)! We've been together ever since, so I guess you could say Cars is special to me in that sense as well.
Anyway, in celebration of the film's 10th anniversary this year, I just wanted to share with you some of my brief thoughts on the film as well as this fun Disney·Pixar Cars 2016 [16 month] calendar by Day Dream (with bonus downloadable wallpaper)! I was recently looking for a Pixar themed calendar to hang near my desk, so I could write in my weekly Disney Store work schedule, and thought this one was perfect. Honestly, it hadn't even crossed my mind that this year was the 10th anniversary, so seeing this calendar was a great reminder.
Whether you like the films or not, the Cars franchise has without a doubt made a huge commercial impact and has been successful in many ways. Many people of all ages out there still love and support it! To wrap up this little anniversary tribute, lets take a look at some of what's been accomplished in the last 10 years...
- Cars was released theatrically June 9th, 2006 and on DVD November 7th, 2006
- The DVD included the first Cars short film, Mater and the Ghost Light
- There have been 15 "Cars Toons" since their television debut in 2008 (with more to come)
- Cars 2 was announced in 2008 along with Up, Newt (which was cancelled) and Brave
- Overall merchandise/media sales crossed $10 billion in the first five years alone
- Cars 2 was released theatrically June 24th, 2011 and on DVD November 1st, 2011
- The world of Cars was the inspiration for two Disney (NOT Pixar) spin off films: Planes and (its sequel) Planes: Fire & Rescue (released in 2013 and 2014, respectively)
- The giant 12-acre Cars Land was announced October 17th, 2007 and saw its grand opening at Disney's California Adventure on June 15th, 2012
- Over 600+ Cars diecast characters have been released since 2006 (and the line is going strong)
- Cars 3 was officially announced on March 18th, 2015 by Disney CEO Bob Iger
- Cars 3 is Pixar's next theatrical film, set to be release on June 16th, 2017.
What are your thoughts on Cars? Are you looking forward to future releases? Do these films bring about any special memories? I would love to hear some of what you're thinking in the comments below! And if you're interested in picking up this calendar for you wall, you can pick it up on Amazon for $14.99 using the link below: